Join Policy Perspectives!
Policy Perspectives, the Trachtenberg School’s student-run media organization, is now accepting applications for journal, blog, and podcast positions for the 2019-20 academic year! All master’s and PhD students graduating no earlier than May 2020 are welcome to apply. However, we will give preference to applicants with prior Policy Perspectives experience, including Associate Editors, Deputy Editors, Staff Writers, and authors. We are hiring for the below positions, each of which offers a unique way for you to be involved with Policy Perspectives.
To apply for any of the positions below, please fill out this form by September 13, 2019, at 11:59 p.m.
**To submit an article to be considered for publication in Volume 27 of the print journal, please fill out this form.
Associate Editors work with an assigned author to thoroughly edit a piece so it is fit for the print journal. These positions report to the Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor. Multiple Associate Editors will be selected.
- Works with assigned author to thoroughly edit a writing piece over several rounds. Edits piece for writing mechanics such as grammar, spelling, sentence structure, and active/passive voice. Fact-checks sources and ensures citations are accurately and clearly quoted and paraphrased. Reviews writing for correct use of Chicago Style citations. Provides basic content feedback to author as necessary.
- Must attend editing workshops (2-3 during fall).
- Total time commitment: varies; 5-10 hours per week at peak times/rounds October-February.
Brief Policy Perspectives Blog:
As a Deputy Editor, you will work with a dedicated team of 3-4 staff writers to produce content for the blog. This position reports to the Executive Editor. Multiple Deputy Editors will be selected.
- Works with 3-4 staff writers to edit four blogs per staff writer each year. Uses Google Docs to edit and proof each blog post twice. Reviews blogs for grammatical clarity and accurateness, checking hyperlinked sources. Helps Staff Writers refine blog ideas. Provides feedback to Staff Writers in a timely fashion. Follows a publishing schedule.
- Assists Executive Editor with various tasks, as needed, such as editing extra submitted pieces.
- Total time commitment: Four hours a week for each scheduled week of editing (four hours a semester).
As a Staff Writer, you will write four blog pieces over the year according to a publishing schedule. This position reports to the Executive Editor.
- Writes four blogs a year (two a semester) on topics of choice. Each blog is about 500 words in length. Completes two rounds of edits by the Deputy Editor for each piece. Submits graphic ideas. Works with Deputy Editor to develop the concept of the blog pieces.
- Total time commitment: About five hours per blog for four blogs per year.
Co-Hosts are regular contributors to the WonkCast policy podcast, which is released biweekly. This position reports to the WonkCast Producer.
- Meets biweekly to record the WonkCast. Reads provided materials on guest topics and researches their contributions for other segments in advance. Prepares for the Below the Fold segment. Helps promote the show, including tabling and handing out promotional materials. Makes guest appearances on Above the Fold live show, if desired.
- Total time commitment: 3-4 hours biweekly.
The Editor edits each episode of the WonkCast. This position reports to the WonkCast Producer.
- Edits the episode to create a draft ready for review, including removing awkward pauses and off-topic conversation. Reviews for inappropriate language and checks that reported information is correct. Keeps episode in suggested time frame of 30-40 minutes. Rearranges discussion as necessary to improve logical flow and clarity.
- Uses Moderator/Producer edits to amend episode and prepare for final release. Coordinates sending final draft to the Brief Policy Perspectives Executive Editor and Communications Director for posting.
- Total time commitment: 4 hours biweekly in addition to Co-Host commitments, if applicable. Time commitment may vary depending upon editing experience.
The Producer is manages the logistics for the WonkCast and coordinates the activities of WonkCast staff. This position reports to the Executive Editor.
- Creates and maintains the schedule for the WonkCast. Books guests and prepares them to be on the show, including sending guidelines for topic content, preparation, and GW radio rules. Corresponds with guest speakers to refine topics and obtain helpful background sources. Communicates schedule and topics to Co-Hosts and disseminates reading material from the guests to the Co-Hosts.
- Listens to drafts of the show from the Editor and provides timely feedback. Compiles sources used by the Co-Hosts to list in the episode’s post.
- Updates and maintains budget and coordinates ordering materials. Liaises with Faculty and Faculty Advisor as necessary.
- Total time commitment: 4-5 hours biweekly in addition to Co-Host commitments, if applicable.
Live Show Co-Host
The Live Show Co-Host will participate in a weekly live taping of Above the Fold, a WonkCast collaboration with WRGW District Radio. This position reports to the WonkCast Producer.
- Meets weekly at the WRGW District Radio studio (on campus) for a live taping of the show. Researches material and discussion points pertinent to the episode’s theme. Helps promote the show, including tabling and handing out promotional materials.
- Total time commitment: 2 hours weekly (1 hour to prepare for the episode and 1 hour for taping) in addition to Co-Host commitments, if applicable.
Social Media Manager
The Social Media Manager is responsible for all Policy Perspectives social media accounts, coordinating with the leadership to meet the needs of the blog, print journal, and the WonkCast.
- Manages Policy Perspectives social media accounts (currently Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn) with regular updates about Policy Perspectives events. Posts about each blog once a piece is completed. Works to expand account outreach by connecting with Trachtenberg students and staff, other schools’ policy journals and blogs, and other identified audiences.
- Coordinates with all leadership to advertise staff positions and solicit writing submissions.
- Publicizes Policy Perspectives events and staff attendance at external events.
- Identifies new opportunities for social media engagement.
- ManagesWonkCast social media accounts with regular updates about the pod and policy news. Connects with relevant policy actors and think tanks on WonkCast social media accounts. Posts about each episode on Facebook and Twitter. Works with Producer and Blog Executive Editor on marketing and promotion.
- Total time commitment: 3-4 hours per week.
The application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Friday, September 13th. To apply, please fill out this form by the deadline.
**Click here to submit an article to be considered for publication in Volume 27 of the print journal by the deadline on the form.
Please email us at email@example.com with any questions. We look forward to receiving your applications!